Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Kale and Tofu Stir-Fry

It's finally cooling down here in central Illinois, and my kale is as happy as can be. Last year I pulled my kale up before this time because it was so littered with bugs I didn't think it would bounce back. This year, out of sheer laziness, I left it in the ground and it started putting off new, beautiful leaves. I picked a hefty bunch of them and needed to use them right away because I was about to leave town for a week. I didn't have many other ingredients in the house, so I threw together a simple and tasty stir-fry.



Kale and Tofu Stir-Fry

Olive oil
1 large bunch kale, washed and chopped
1 pound firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
1 small onion, diced
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup soy sauce (less if using strong soy sauce)
2-3 T. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. powdered ginger

In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until soft. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add crumbled tofu, soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger and cook until heated through and some of the moisture has cooked off. Add washed and chopped kale and continue to cook until kale has wilted and is tender (may take longer if using a tougher variety of kale). Serve over cooked rice or quinoa.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds as good or better (better!) than what I fixed tonight..."Lemony Chickpeas" with tofu, kale and zucchini. Tasted ok but the only flavorings were lemon juice and salt, so I added some soy sauce and some sesame oil. Your dish looks wonderful...will try it as my kale continues to bounce back.

    ReplyDelete