Friday, May 21, 2010

Tofu Jerky



There is a local guy that makes vegan jerky and sells it at our co-op. It's not bad, but pretty much tastes like a salty over-baked piece of tofu. A couple of my friends, however, think it's the best thing since sliced bread. They are buying many expensive, tiny little packages of this stuff a week. So, I decided I would try to make some myself. I used this recipe I found onVegweb.com. I don't have a dehydrator like the recipe calls for, so I baked it on the lowest setting in my oven, flipping it over about every 30 minutes or so until it looked like most of the moisture had been removed. It takes a couple hours, but it is soo worth it! All my co-workers agreed it is much better than the stuff you can buy at the co-op, and a lot cheaper. The second time I made it, I added a couple tablespoons of Sriracha Hot Sauce to the marinade. It's a little spicy, but I think it's just what it needed.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm...just tasted the delicious batch mommy made. I haven't tasted the competitor's product, but I agree that yours is better!

    ReplyDelete