Monday, June 21, 2010

Grown-up Mac & "Cheese"



The kale in my garden is getting pretty out of control, so I keep trying to think of ways to use it. The problem is, when I get hungry, I just want to fall back on easy, tried and true recipes. Tonight I decided to combine the two. This is my grown-up version of mac & cheese using Daiya vegan shreds. I think next time I make it I may add some garlic and/or onion granules to give it a little more flavor, but it is delicious as is.


Grown-Up Mac & "Cheese"

9 oz. elbo macaroni
1 bunch Kale, washed and roughly chopped
3 cups Daiya vegan shreds
3 T. Earth Balance Margarine
2 cups unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage, or other non-dairy beverage
1 T. Nutritional Yeast
1 T. flour
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese (optional)

Cook pasta according to package instructions, but about a minute or so before it's done, add washed kale and continue to cook until kale is wilted. Drain pasta and kale mixture. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is warming, prepare cheese sauce. In a medium sized sauce pan, melt margarine. Add nutritional yeast, flour and black pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for a couple minutes. Whisk in non-dairy milk and continue to stir until heated, add vegan shreds, stir to combine. Pour sauce over cooked pasta, mix thoroughly and put in a greased 8x8 casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs and sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until cheese starts to bubble and top begins to brown. Remove from oven and top with vegan parmesan cheese (optional).

No comments:

Post a Comment