Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Veggie Enchiladas



While I was working today, I suddenly smelled something that made me think of enchiladas. I'm not sure what it was, we weren't making enchiladas, but I knew at that moment I was going to make them for dinner tonight. I've tried a couple recipes for them in the past that were pretty good, but they were all too complicated and time consuming. I did some enchilada recipe research on my lunch break and decided I'd throw something together instead of just following a recipe word for word. I have to say, I was pretty pleased with them. A lot of times when I just "wing it" with recipes, they don't turn out the best. I put whatever veggies I had on hand in them, but I'm sure there are other combinations that would be just as good.


Veggie Enchiladas

2-10oz. cans red enchilada sauce
1-can vegetarian refried beans
1-package small flour tortillas
2 T. vegetable oil
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 small summer squash, seeded and diced
4 oz. baby bella or white mushrooms, diced (other vegetables can be substituted)
¾ cup frozen corn
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp oregano (Mexican if available)
1/8 tsp. chipotle powder
salt, to taste
2 cups cheddar style Daiya Shreds
1 can chopped chili peppers (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish, set aside. Heat oil in large pan until hot. Add onion, sprinkle with a little salt and cook until onions begin to soften. Add the squash, garlic and mushrooms and cook until just tender. Add in the frozen corn and spices and cook until corn is heated through. Taste mixture, add salt and more seasonings as needed. Heat the refried beans with approximately ¼ cup of enchilada sauce in a pan until hot.

Pour one can of enchilada sauce in the bottom of the glass baking dish. To assemble enchiladas, put a generous amount of beans down the middle of each tortilla, topped with some of the vegetable mixture, sprinkle with a little Daiya cheese and roll tightly. Lay enchiladas, seem side down, in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas, making sure to coat the tortillas thoroughly. Sprinkle enchiladas with any remaining cheese and chopped chili peppers. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese has melted and sauce is bubbling. Good with guacamole and soy sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment